Recovery notifications after escalations

Ulf Karlsson karlsson.ulf at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 12:06:11 CEST 2009

Hi,

We have a a situation here where we would like notify the on-call
group after 60 minutes and the support group after 240 minutes. If
services go down and then recover, everyone who has received a
notification of a host problem should also receive the recovery
notification. See the configuration below.

Now, our problem is that when the second escalation has been activated
and the support group has received the notification, only the support
group will receive the recovery notification - the on-call group will
never see the recovery notification.

We do not want to send out multiple notifications to the on-call group
four the same issue since they then would be spammed by Nagios
unnecessarily.

define host{
        name                            generic-host
        contacts                        root ; This will be stored in
a local mailbox that no one sees
        notification_interval           60
        notification_options            d,u,r
        register                        0
        }

# First escalation for on call group (notification after 60 minutes)

define hostescalation{
	host_name		*
	first_notification	2
	last_notification	2
	notification_interval	180
	contact_groups		on-call
	}
# Second escalation for support group (notification after 240 minutes)
# Problem: when this escalation has been activated, on-call does not
receive recovery notifications anymore
# (we do not want to send multiple notifications about the same
problem to on-call)

define hostescalation{
	host_name		*
	first_notification	3
	last_notification	3
	notification_interval	0
	contact_groups		support
	}

Is it possible to achieve what we want using escalations?

Best regards,
Ulf Karlsson