SNMP configuration for Nagios: sysUpTime.

Thu Jun 4 09:30:51 CEST 2009

No. These two files are related to the SNMP daemon and the SNMP trap
handling, respectively.

Basically, SNMP has two different ways it operates. You can query client
machines using SNMP, or the client machines can actively send you
information (usually only when some event occurs). Actively sending
information is called a trap. While you can probably make it work with
Nagios, that would be somewhat unusual, and is not what you are looking
for here. The snmptrapd.conf file deals with traps.

check_snmp (and snmpwalk, snmpget etc.) use a plain client/server
approach. On the nagios machine, you have a client - check_snmp. On the
monitored client, you have an SNMP "server" called snmpd (in Linux).
Windows, as well as many routers, switches etc. all also have similar
SNMP servers running.

As the name suggests, snmpd.conf is used to configure this daemon. In
other words, you would need to set that up on the monitored client if it
is a Linux client. check_snmp and snmpget don't use it.

Off the top of my head, I don't know how to configure snmp (probably a
file called snmp.conf - without the d, along with a whole directory tree
under /etc/snmp), but in most Linux distributions it should be pretty
much already configured the way you need it. You may need to install a
couple MIBs for devices you want to monitor.

Most of what you would need to do is done on the command line to the
check_snmp command.

Jimmyboy wrote:
> I have snmpd.conf and snmptrapd.conf files within the path '/etc/snmp/'.
> Shouldn't one need to make changes within these configuration files in
> order to pass/retrieve relevant information to the web interface of
> Nagios?
>
> What I feel is Nagios is unable to query the network entity and so
> unable to get the needed information.
>
> Appreciate your help!!
>
> Thanks,
> Jim
>
> =-=-=-=
>
> 2009/6/4 Ian Masters <ian at acces.co.jp <mailto:ian at acces.co.jp>>
>
>     This works fine for me:
>     check_command       check_snmp! -H 172.16.1.1 -C xxxx -o sysUpTime.0

> OpenSolaris 2009.06 is a cutting edge operating system for enterprises
> looking to deploy the next generation of Solaris that includes the latest
> innovations from Sun and the OpenSource community. Download a copy and
> enjoy capabilities such as Networking, Storage and Virtualization.
> Go to: http://p.sf.net/sfu/opensolaris-get

Kevin Keane
Owner
The NetTech
Find the Uncommon: Expert Solutions for a Network You Never Have to
Think About

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or
proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or
disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information
herein is intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named
above. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify
the sender immediately and permanently delete the e-mail and any copies,
printouts or attachments thereof.