Adding Cisco enterprise MIBs

Giovanni Torres torresgi at ninds.nih.gov
Wed Jun 3 15:21:32 CEST 2009

If you're adding MIBs to Ubuntu, the default directory for snmp mibs are
/usr/share/snmp/mibs/, that is, if you have the libsnmp-base package
installed.  Just place the cisco mibs in that default directory and that
should do it.  Now, to verify that the mibs are working, you can use a
mib browser such as mbrowse (apt-get install mbrowse).  Make sure your
/etc/snmp/snmpd.conf configuration file matches how you have your
routers and switches configured for snmp.

with mbrowse, plug in a snmp-configured hostname, and browse click
through the tree until you reach your mib, usually below .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9

note that not all OIDs in a MIB are supported for all IOS versions.
cisco usually has a link for each IOS version and what MIBs are supported.

once the mib is verified and working, use the check_snmp check_command
in your .cfg files of the routers and switches you want to monitor.

Hope this helps.  If not, please pose a more specific question of what
steps you are trying to accomplish.

Giovanni