Please define "defined" in this context

Whit Blauvelt whit+nagios at transpect.com
Wed Jun 3 15:13:59 CEST 2009

Hi,

Starting to set up Nagios, and puzzled at something that must be simple, but
the language is unclear.

The example localhost.cfg has this section:

define service{
        use                             local-service         ; Name of service template to use
        host_name                       localhost
        service_description             HTTP
        check_command                   check_http
        notifications_enabled           0
        }

I've changed two things in it: First, I've switched all the host_name's from
"localhost" to the real hostname. Second, since the http instance on the
system requires a login, I invoked ./check_http --help and learned:

 -a, --authorization=AUTH_PAIR
    Username:password on sites with basic authentication

So now I have

define service{
        use                             local-service         ; Name of service template to use
        host_name                       realhost
        service_description             HTTP
        check_command                   check_http --authorization=httpuser:pass
        notifications_enabled           0
        }

But that doesn't work:

# /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg
Error: Service check command 'check_http --authorization=httpuser:pass' specified in service 'HTTP' for host 'realhost' not defined anywhere!

What does "defined" means in this context? What does "anywhere" mean? I'd
say that the command is well-defined, in that check_http is a standard
request, and it's being followed by one of the flags it defines in its help.
Plus, that overall action is being defined right in "localhost.cfg".

In the context of Nagios "not defined" and "anywhere" must be terms of
art, rather than common English. How can a beginner learn what they mean in
Nagios-speak? What's the "where" to put the "definition" to make this simple
http login request work?

Regards,
Whit