Host dependencies not being picked up...

Max Hetrick maxhetrick at verizon.net
Mon Jun 1 21:43:59 CEST 2009

Andrew Davis wrote:
> Double-checking the docs I think I just realized this...
>
> If I understand this right, the "parents" option is used for Nagios
> itself (prehaps better re-worded as "internally") to define the network
> topology for the core host check. If the switch is down, it won't mark a
> host as Down, only as Unreachable.
>
> For a "host dependency", I have to define something like this:
>
> define hostdependency{
>     host_name            Host A
>     dependent_host_name        Host C
>     notification_failure_criteria    d
>     }
>
> define hostdependency{
>     host_name            Host B
>     dependent_host_name        Host C
>     notification_failure_criteria    d,u
>     }
>
> Am I understanding this right?
>
> What gets me is that what Nagios seems to call a parent is, to me
> anyway, a network/host dependency. Hosts are dependent on the network
> and services are dependent on hosts. I guess I'm missing where a "host
> dependency" would actually be of any value...

Host dependencies aren't to be confused with parent/child relationships.
Parent/child relationships are what actually define the network topology.

Host dependencies are just for defining a dependency from host "A" to
from host "B" and so on. I'm not sure the usefulness of this, but I'm
sure someone uses it.

http://www.nagios.org/faqs/viewfaq.php?faq_id=145

Regards,
Max