Host dependencies not being picked up...

Andrew Davis nccomp at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 21:24:53 CEST 2009

Double-checking the docs I think I just realized this...

If I understand this right, the "parents" option is used for Nagios
itself (prehaps better re-worded as "internally") to define the network
topology for the core host check. If the switch is down, it won't mark a
host as Down, only as Unreachable.

For a "host dependency", I have to define something like this:

define hostdependency{
    host_name            Host A
    dependent_host_name        Host C
    notification_failure_criteria    d
    }

define hostdependency{
    host_name            Host B
    dependent_host_name        Host C
    notification_failure_criteria    d,u
    }

Am I understanding this right?

What gets me is that what Nagios seems to call a parent is, to me
anyway, a network/host dependency. Hosts are dependent on the network
and services are dependent on hosts. I guess I'm missing where a "host
dependency" would actually be of any value...

  A. Davis
  Email:     nccomp at gmail.com

  "There is no limit to what a man can accomplish
   if he doesn't care who gets the credit." - Ronald Reagan