NRPE + check_oracle + XINET.d = Problem

Paulo Andrade paulo at mobilecard.com.br
Mon Jul 27 21:01:58 CEST 2009

Hello again Nagios community,

I found the solution for the NRPE over XINET.D permission problem. As I said, the "check_oracle" plugin uses some features from the Oracle Home directory to do the Test. But if we don't have permission to access the Oracle directory from the Nagios linux user (as specified in xinet.d configuration file), we cant reach the right path to do the plugin tests.

The problem can be fixed by this 2 following steps:

1: Put the Nagios unix user in the "oinstall" group (The Oracle instalation group)
2: Replace the line in the nrpe/xinet.d file:

        user            = nagios
        group          = nagios

for

        user            = nagios
        groups        = yes

This second step forces to the xinet.d to use all the groups the Nagios user is member.

I hope this solution is useful to the community.

Thanks!

Message: 18