Creating a Default User Alongside Authenticated Users

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Sat Jul 25 04:01:34 CEST 2009

On Jul 24, 2009, at 5:01 PM, Edward Trochim wrote:

> Is a configuration like this possible? I've read the documentation on
> authentication and default users but I didn't see anything that helped
> me with this particular setup.

It's almost entirely .htaccess configuration that you need, I expect.
Try this --

In cgi.cfg, set default_user_name to what you want non-logged in users
to be set to. You many need to set additional authorized_for values
for this user or ensure that they are a contact for all hosts and
services you want them to see.

Change your htaccess for sbin and share to include the Order, Deny,
Allow From and Satisfy directives --

AuthName "Monitor System Access"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users
require valid-user
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Allow from 192.168.1.14 172.27.31 # allows from the single ip
192.168.1.14 and the entire 172.27.31.0/24
Satisfy Any

The magic is in the Satisfy Any. The user can come from an Allowed IP
_or_ authenticate. The server is smart enough not to present
authentication if the IP Allow is satisfied.

--
Marc