Creating a Default User Alongside Authenticated Users

Edward Trochim ejtrochim at alaska.edu
Sat Jul 25 00:01:15 CEST 2009

I want to setup nagios so that there is one default user that can only
see host and service information. This user should not require
authentication (the user shouldn't have to enter a username and
password). But in addition I want authenticated users that have access
to everything in nagios. Those users would probably have to specify
their user name in the url. The security for the default user isn't a
concern since the nagios web server is behind a firewall.

The reasoning behind this is that I want anyone in the organization to
be able to see status checks without being prompted for authentication
(even if its just a username of guest) and have some select users be
able to administer nagios from the cgis.

Is a configuration like this possible? I've read the documentation on
authentication and default users but I didn't see anything that helped
me with this particular setup.