nagios host limits

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Jul 23 18:32:32 CEST 2009

On Jul 23, 2009, at 11:04 AM, Conor Shovlin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I installed a ubuntu server and installed nagios to test our
> configuration on a new version of linux other than Fedora
>
> We have the same problem in that we cannot add more than 226 hosts
> and we get the below error
>
> Processing object config file '/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/
> xxxx.cfg'...
> Error: Template 'linux-server' specified in host definition could
> not be not found (config file '/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/
> xxxxhosts.cfg', starting on line 78)
>    Error processing object config files!

> We are running a single monitoring server. Does this mean we are
> going to have to look at our overall architecture and look at
> distributed monitoring or similar?

No, you don't need to. A single install of nagios can monitor
thousands of hosts and services (providing the hardware resources are
there).

> Does anyone have any experience of this type of issue?

You've either encountered a never-before-seen bug or you have a
genuine error in your configuration files. Please post the template
definition and a host definition that references it. Please post an
'ls -l' of the config files and the results of 'egrep "^cfg_" /usr/
local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg'.

Also try adding a dummy host in the same file that you have the
template defined --

define host{
         use                     linux-server           ; Name of host
template to use
         host_name               test-host
         alias                   test-host
         address                 1.1.1.1