Antwort: Can nagios recognize newly added disks

Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com
Thu Jul 23 10:10:01 CEST 2009

> Objective:
> Is Nagios capable of re-scanning the disk drives or recognize if
> there are newly added disks/removed disks from existing servers that
> are being monitored in Nagios.

No, that's not possible out-of-the-box and I cannot imagine
anyone working on something like this - it's just not feasible.
Nagios itself is independent of the remote machine and its
agent. You can even write your own agent if you want to,
for Nagios it's all the same - just a check that gives
some results back. So to have a mechanism describe by you,
Nagios would need to know about all and every agent out
there and how to remotely check and configure it - that's
out of the scope of the purpose of Nagios.

Though there is the possibility with most remote agents,
that you can trigger an "check all disks that are present"
check. There are 2 turndowns in this though:

- those checks tend to check DVD/CD drives too - bad idea
- if you add or remove disks, the number of results returned
  will differ - making pnp4nagios puke, as it expects always
  the same number of results

Your turn to choose what you want - both sides suck a little ;)

GFKL Financial Services AG
Vorstand: Dr. Peter Jänsch (Vors.), Jürgen Baltes, Dr. Tom Haverkamp
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dr. Georg F. Thoma
Sitz: Limbecker Platz 1, 45127 Essen, Amtsgericht Essen, HRB 13522