Nagios & NRPE Multiline Output trouble

Daniel Szmandiuk DSzmandi at imc.net.au
Thu Jul 23 06:39:55 CEST 2009

Running Nagios 3.06 and NRPE 2.12.

Nagios is running check_nrpe against a remote server running the NRPE daemon. One of the NRPE commands kicks off a perl script which needs to return multiple lines of output. The perl script does something like this:

print ("Line1;\nLine2;\nLine3;\n");

I'm trying to use the Nagios 3.0 multiline capability to get the output's second and subsequent lines into the $LONGSERVICEOUTPUT$ macro, which in turn gets used in an email notification. I have other types of notifications (eg SMS and Pagers) where I don't use the $LONGSERVICEOUTPUT$ macro.

I'm following the doc at the following URL:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/pluginapi.html

I just can't get this to work properly.

If I run check_nrpe manually from the Nagios server, I see the multiple lines displayed on the console. However, Nagios always appears to discard everything after the first \n in the output.

The closest thing that I have been able to make work is to use something like this in the perl script:

print ("Line1;\\rLine2;\\rLine3;\\r\n");

This appears to work, but upon further investigation I found out that this is just placing everything into $SERVICEOUTPUT$. My SMS and Pager notifications show all the output, even though they are not configured with the $LONGSERVICEOUTPUT$ macro.

Is there some setting in NRPE or Nagios that I need to set in order to support Multiline outputs properly?  Or is this a bug?

Daniel