mem up to 99%

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Jul 21 16:29:56 CEST 2009

On Jul 21, 2009, at 8:42 AM, Meyer Jerome wrote:

> Hi
>
> Now that nagios monitor my servers I noticed the following thing :
> The nscd (name service cache daemon) service used about 70-86%
> memory that grow up the memory used about 99% (see with top -> mem)

I don't think you're implying that nagios is causing this. Please
clarify if you are.

> The only application that run on that server is : postfix and ntp!
>
> So, what should I make? Disable notification for this service or
> whta’s else ?

I've never seen nscd use a significant amount of memory. I'd try to
determine what cache is using it and either tune/limit that cache,
tune the reason it's being populated so heavily or disable caching of
that altogether if it's a problem for you. The nscd manpage lists the -
g option to display current usage stats.

--
Marc