Weird phenomenon with hostgroup expansion

Dirk H. Schulz dirk.schulz at kinzesberg.de
Thu Jul 16 22:13:09 CEST 2009

Hi folks,

I have Nagios 3.0.6 running on CentoOS 5.3 (current patches). I have
defined 72 hosts with 716 services. Everything works fine so far.

Now I have added a new hostgroup consisting of 2 new servers, and have
added this hostgroup_name to 16 service definitions. Running
"/usr/bin/nagios -v /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg" suddenly shows 15 hosts
having no service definitions!

After careful reediting of configs and systematic testing I found the
following:

I have some service definitions with two lines of hostgroup_name because
of the amount of hostgroups to add to that service. For example:
> define service{
>         use                             generic-service
>         hostgroup_name
> Mailserver,Mailstore,Nameserver,Headserver,Management,Webserver,PhysLinux,Testserver-Linux,Templates-Linux
>         hostgroup_name
>  Masse-CentOS,Masse-Ubuntu,Testserver-NetBSD,MySQLserver
>         service_description             RES-Swap
>         check_command                    check_ssh_swap!22!20!10
>         }
This works fine so far. But there is one, ONE CERTAIN service definition
that must NOT have two lines of hostgroup_name. If it looks like that:
> # check memory
> define service{
>         use                                generic-service
>         hostgroup_name
>  Mailserver,Mailstore,Nameserver,Headserver,Management,Webserver,PhysLinux,Testserver-Linux,Templates-Linux,Masse-CentOS,Masse-Ubuntu,MySQLserver
>         service_description             RES-Memory
>         check_command                    check_ssh_memory!22!100:!50:!M
>         }
everything is fine so far, but if I devide the hostgroup_name line into
two lines like in the first service definition above then suddenly
Nagios claims 15 hosts to have no service definitions.

I have tried a lot, have even copied the above service definition and
changed just the differing part, but to no avail.

And then there is one more problem:
Before adding the new hostgroup with the 2 new servers, I have 716
services. After adding the new hostgroup to 16 service definitions 697
services are remaining.

Is there any known problems with hostgroup_name expansion with bigger
amounts of hosts? I do not know where to look at any more.

Any hint or help is appreciated.

Dirk