Hostgtroup question

Mark Gius mgius at createspace.com
Tue Jul 14 22:45:55 CEST 2009

Marc Powell wrote:
> On Jul 14, 2009, at 2:26 PM, Morris, Patrick wrote:
>

>> Hi Dale!
>>
>> On Tue, 14 Jul 2009, Dale J. Chatham wrote:
>>

>>> I don't seem to be able to do this:
>>>
>>> # vim:ts=4:ai:expandtabs
>>> #
>>> #
>>> define hostgroup {
>>>     hostgroup_name                            all-hst
>>>     alias                                     all-hst
>>>     members                                   *
>>> }
>>>
>>> # vim:ts=4:ai:expandtabs
>>> #
>>> #
>>> define hostgroup {
>>>     hostgroup_name                            basic_svc_snmp-svc
>>>     alias                                     basic_svc_snmp-svc
>>>     hostgroup_members                         all-hst,!basic_svc_ns-
>>> svc
>>> }
>>>
>>> If it is not possible at this point, I'd like to suggest it as a
>>> somewhat obvious extension to hostgroup definitions.
>>>
>> It's not possible now -- members of hostgroups need to be hosts, and
>> can't be other hostgroups.
>>

> Actually, that's what the hostgroup_members directive is for. What's
> in question is the regex matching of '!basic_svc' to exclude it and
> whether that _should_work. I can find no specific example in the
> documentation that indicates it should and am not in a position to
> test it. My feeling is that it isn't supported there but I could be
> wrong. If the OP gets no other bites, asking on nagios-devel might be
> more useful in either case.
>
> --
> Marc
This syntax works for me in service escalations (service and host
groups), as well as service definitions.  I've not tried it in
hostgroups however.  The behavior is sort of defined here
(http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objecttricks.html).

define serviceescalation {
    name                       escalation
    register                    0

    servicegroup_name           *,!notify-web
    escalation_period           24x7
    escalation_options          c,u,r
}

-Gius