How to have an escalation just respond to criticals and recoveries from criticals only (not warnings)

Max perldork at webwizarddesign.com
Sat Jul 11 08:01:50 CEST 2009

I have created a patch that codifies the behavior mentioned in my
previous email.  The patch does this:

If a recovery *service* escalation request is received:
* If the previous state of the service is listed in the escalation,
allow the recovery escalation
* If the previous state of the service is not listed in the
escalation, do not send the recovery notification

So if you put this in a service escalation definition:

escalation_options u,c,r

You will only get a service escalation if the service state recovers
from an unknown or critical state .. if the state changes to warning
and then ok, no escalation will be sent.

If anyone is interested in this patch, happy to share once we have
used it in our production env for a day or two to make sure it is
stable.  I would also add code for the following before releasing it:
* If recovery is specified and no non-ok states are specified in the
service escalation, allow the escalation.

Regards,
Max