Nagios lockup for about 8.5 hours

Andrew Noonan anoonan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 23:10:16 CEST 2009

I've been testing out Nagios in general to replace our current system
and I noticed a strange blank in my PNP graphs this morning.  When I
looked closer, I found that nagios had basically hung for several
hours.  Then, the log shows a warning of:

[1246958195] Warning: A system time change of 0d 4h 56m 48s (forwards
in time) has been detected.  Compensating...

and then for several hours, messages like:

[1246958830] Warning: The check of host 'superhost1' looks like it was
orphaned (results never came back).  I'm scheduling an immediate check
of the host...

I'm running nagios 3.0.6 with ndo2db.  The system has under 1000
services, most of which are nrpe checks to remote hosts.

The nagios system was not terribly loaded at the time (about 50% idle)
and mysql did not show any errors at the time.  Typically, the number
of buffers used is only 2-3 out of the 4096.

Any ideas as to what this could have been, or how I can detect this
condition or log to gain more info?  I wouldn't think that this is
normal, but my Google searches aren't turning up a lot.

Thanks!