monitor windows remote desktop from linux

Massimo Balestra massimobalestra at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 7 18:52:27 CEST 2009

Hi,

I did some googleing for this problem but with no success. Maybe somebody in
this list can help me to figure how to do this check.

My nagios is running on linux and I have two windows servers used for remote
desktop (terminal service).

One of this servers has some problems (we will reinstall it) and sometimes
the remote desktop stops answering and the nobody can login. To tell the
truth the whole server hangs but in this moment my concern is the remote
desktop.

I already setup a check on the remote desktop port (using check_tcp) but it
is not enough. The RD port answers to the socket connection but when I try
to connect with the client it hangs. So the port is open but the service is
frozen.

Is there anybody who knows what to do to monitor the Windows Remote Desktop?

Thank you in advance
Massimo