Simplified Nagios user interface for end users/help desk

Adam Forsyth forsytad at luther.edu
Wed Jul 1 19:54:13 CEST 2009

I did try experimenting with Nagios Looking Glass some a few months
ago.  It does present a nice user interface, but unless I'm missing
something, it still seems to have the same problem of not being able
to distinguish between errors that are for my information and those
that are actually service affecting.  For example,  I created a filter
called "Web Servers" and placed our web servers into it.  That worked
just fine, but the Looking glass page reported that "The network is
experiencing severe outages which is having a negative effect on
services."  The reason for this was that I have nagios configured to
check how much free disk space is available on the server.  That check
was in "critical" state because the volume is 90% full.

I want nagios to alert me when that happens so I can look for disk
space to free up before the disk is 100% full (and it has alerted me).
 Nagios Looking Glass, on the other hand is for end users.  The end
users don't need to be concerned that we're within 10% of filling the
disk, so I don't want the Looking Glass to be concerned about disk
space.  I couldn't find a way to make it not be concerned about the
disk space.  Did I mis ssomething here?  If I did and this is a
solvable problem, then I think Nagios Looking Glass is exactly what
I'm looking for.