Is there a size limit in the Email directive of a contact definit ion

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Jan 30 20:03:58 CET 2009

On Jan 30, 2009, at 9:32 AM, Deborah Martin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just wondered if anybody knew of a limit as to the number of email
> addresses
> or rather is there a limit to the number of characters I can specify
> in
> total
> for the "email" directive in the "contact" definition.

Not a definitive answer but none that I am aware of, at least with
nagios-3. Glancing at the code I don't see any limit either. If there
is one, I expect it to be > 1024 chars.

> I want to add four addresses which are of the form
> <mobilenumber>@mail2txt160.net.
>
> I've looked at the docs and there is no mention of a character
> limitation
> but I'm thinking that doesn't mean there isn't one (it could just be
> so
> large that it's not
> likely to ever be reached perhaps (?) or it's just not documented!)

Seems like a TAFO task ;)

> Or would it be better practice to create four new separate contacts
> and then
> add those to the contact groups directive in my service definition ?
> (This is only a temporary measure so I'd to do the least amount of
> admin in
> setting this up as it it will be activated for only 3 days at most)

If it's temporary and your notification script understands the passing
of multiple addresses at the same time, I'd take the short route of
just listing all the addresses under one contact.

--
marc