NDOutils and Nagios startup speed

Thomas Guyot-Sionnest dermoth at aei.ca
Thu Jan 29 05:27:46 CET 2009

On 28/01/09 08:05 PM, Mathieu Gagné wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Marc Powell wrote:
>>> Is there a way to speed things up? Any help would be appreciated.
>>> Thanks.
>> I'm interested in tips as well.
>>

> One way to speed up Nagios start when using NDOutils is to tweak
> "event_broker_options".
>
> Here is my new configuration, based on constants defined in
> include/broker.h:
>
> # BROKER_EVERYTHING      1048575
> # -BROKER_TIMED_EVENTS   2
> # -BROKER_SERVICE_CHECKS 4
> # -BROKER_HOST_CHECKS    8
>
> event_broker_options=1048561
>
> I personally don't care about raw host/service check results and
> internal scheduling. It's already available in nagios.log and don't need
> to access such data remotely. Also host/service status are already
> available in nagios_hoststatus and nagios_servicestatus.
>
> There's probably more to disable.

Not sure if it works already, but IMHO a good solution would be to
prepare the new database in a similar way to the precache file.

I guess it could work like this (I only have partial understanding of
the NdoDB architecture):

1. You run the precache option - an event broker (could be NDODB itself)
prepare the DB for the next run by communicating the information to the
remote end (**),
2. When you load using the precache file it sends an instruction to use
the prepared database data.

(**) Not sure which is the best way here... If preparing a SQL dump file
and loading it at once (with as many options as possible like locking,
no foreign keys extended inserts, etc) goes fast this could be the way.

Another options could be updating the DB live (data insert for deleted
objects will fail, while new objects will just wait for data to come in...

Finally it could be possible to just prepare new tables, and then
replace them all at once.

- --
Thomas