NDOutils and Nagios startup speed

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Jan 27 00:21:39 CET 2009

On Jan 26, 2009, at 4:46 PM, Mathieu Gagné wrote:

> Unfortunately, we can't afford this kind of downtime while
> Nagios/NDOutils is busy exporting to MySQL. Also, host/service status
> are not available while the reload is occuring.

While I can't really speak to the more general problem (I experience
it too), I did find the 'Retain status file over a reload' patch at http://altinity.blogs.com/dotorg/2007/09/nagios-patch-da.html
  to be extremely helpful for this particular symptom. Reloads are
completely transparent to GUI users now.

> NDOutils is used to retrieve host/service status from an external
> application which needs real-time data and is used by several
> peoples at
> the same time.

Same here (geographic map of outages, currently in testing). Haven't
been bothered enough to do anything about it during that 3-4 minute
window.

> Is there a way to speed things up? Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks.

I'm interested in tips as well.

--
Marc