NDOutils and Nagios startup speed

Mathieu Gagné mgagne at iweb.com
Mon Jan 26 23:46:43 CET 2009

Hi all,

We are running 5 Nagios instances (4 x Nagios2 and 1 x Nagios3) which
are all using NDOutils. (and more without NDOutils)

Our instances are restarted frequently as we are constantly adding new
hosts and services.

(re)starting an instance can take about 3-4 minutes because NDOutils has
to export every configuration and status to MySQL.

Unfortunately, we can't afford this kind of downtime while
Nagios/NDOutils is busy exporting to MySQL. Also, host/service status
are not available while the reload is occuring.

Here is some stats:

instance, hosts, services, Nagios version
1, 2074, 4721, 3
2, 2196, 2299, 2
3, 2800, 2841, 2
4, 1, 1, 2
5, 1804, 1821, 2

NDOutils is used to retrieve host/service status from an external
application which needs real-time data and is used by several peoples at
the same time.

We tried to code a new CGI script and see if we could retrieve the
status directly from Nagios but it's even slower.

If I disable NDOutils, Nagios is able to start within about 10-20 seconds.

Is there a way to speed things up? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

--
Mathieu