Alternatives for check_ping

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Sat Jan 24 18:28:36 CET 2009

On Jan 24, 2009, at 9:08 AM, Ton Machielsen wrote:

> I've installed Nagios 3.0.6 on a FreeBSD Jail. Now, from this jail i
> cannot ping my hosts because of some sockets restriction of the Jail.

The provider probably has security.jail.allow_raw_sockets disabled.
bummer.

> I cannot change the config of the Jail because it's a provider
> hosted system.

makes monitoring interesting for you.

> So my questions are:
>
> - Am i the only one with this problem?

I'd hazard that the number of admins with this kind of restriction is
very low. It's unusual to restrict a monitoring system like this.

> - Does anybody have a good check-host-alive definition that works
> from the jail?

That's going to depend on the configuration of the jail and the types
of devices you are intending to monitor. check-host-alive doesn't have
to be a ping test, it's just the most common and useful test.

> - Is echoping supposed to work or not?

Not a FreeBSD jail user here and others might be able to answer
definitively. I'd guess that the echo, discard and chargen protocols
won't but HTTP might. That would require that your monitored hosts be
running a web server of course.

> - If nobody has a good check-host-alive definition, how can i switch
> this check off?

leave out the check_command directive entirely and/or
{
	check_period none and/or
	active_checks_enabled 0
} or
use check_dummy as the check_command and always return an OK state.

You lose the benefits of parenting and down/unreachable logic though.
YMMV.

> I can check on other services to know if the server is up or not,
> but i don't want the "host down" status in my tactical overview.

You could specify one of those as the host check_command too.

--
Marc