Alternatives for check_ping

Ton Machielsen ton.machielsen at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 16:08:39 CET 2009

Hi all!

This is my first message to the list. I've been browsing the archives, i've
asked Mr. Google, but i cannot find an answer to my problem. But i'm sure
i'm not the only one with this problem.

Now here is what i'm struggling with:

I've installed Nagios 3.0.6 on a FreeBSD Jail. Now, from this jail i cannot
ping my hosts because of some sockets restriction of the Jail.

I got the suggestion to install echoping instead, but i don't seem to get
this working either. When i echoping my hosts, i get a connection denied
error. I can ping my hosts from any other place on the internet (home,
mobile phone, work office), but from the Jail i cannot.
I cannot change the config of the Jail because it's a provider hosted
system.

So my questions are:

- Am i the only one with this problem?
- Does anybody have a good check-host-alive definition that works from the
jail?
- Is echoping supposed to work or not?
- If nobody has a good check-host-alive definition, how can i switch this
check off? I can check on other services to know if the server is up or not,
but i don't want the "host down" status in my tactical overview.

That's it so far. I'm sure for you people it's simple and it's been asked a
zillion times before, but honestly, i cannot find the answers.

Thanks in advance,

Ton.