Hosts report 'DOWN, HARD' after first attempt.

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Jan 16 22:31:39 CET 2009

On Jan 16, 2009, at 3:15 PM, Jonathan Call wrote:

> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/configmain.html#passive_host_chec
> ks_are_soft
>
> If they're all assumed to be SOFT, then a host failure would never
> trigger a notification?

My interpretation of the parameter is that passive host results are
not automatically HARD but instead follow the same processes as an
active check. Upon reaching max_check_attempts, nagios sets the host
into a HARD state. That would be most logical given the previous
behavior and the other changes to host checking but I don't really
care enough about it to go look in the source (I'm not running 3.x
yet). ;)

--
Marc