check_ping stuck on 'PENDING'

Robert Yeo r.yeo at utah.edu
Mon Jan 12 15:57:00 CET 2009

The operation I am employing is Check CPU Load but the symptoms were the
same as Michiel's check ping.

Hopefully all the information is there now.

Thanks!

Rob Yeo

# Finearts Nagios 2 Server
define host{

    host_name        Dgh_000_012_FairUse
    alias            Finearts Nagios 2 Server
    address          155.xxx.xxx.xxx

    use              server-high-priority
    hostgroups       Dgh_Servers
    parents          Dgh_Switch_02
    icon_image       mac40.png
    statusmap_image  mac40.gd2
    }

# '003 DGH Servers' server group definition
define hostgroup{
    hostgroup_name       Dgh_Servers
    alias                DGH_SERVERS
    }

# 'check_nrpe' command definition
define command {
    command_name     check_nrpe
    command_line    $USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c $ARG1$ -u
}'

define service{
    hostgroup_name            Nmw_Servers,Wi_Servers
    host_name
!Nmw_104_010_Finearts_Dataserver,!Nmw_104_020_Nagios,Dgh_000_012_FairUse,Art

_104_014_FilmServer,!Nmw_104_092_Nagios3

    service_description        Check CPU Load
    use                        medium-high-priority-service
    check_command              check_nrpe!check_load
    }

define servicedependency{
    hostgroup_name                      Nmw_Servers,Wi_Servers
    host_name
!Nmw_104_010_Finearts_Dataserver,!Nmw_104_020_Nagios,!Nmw_104_011_Finearts_F
ileserver,Dgh_000_012_FairUse,Art_104_014_FilmServer,!Nmw_104_092_Nagios3

    service_description                 Check NRPE
    dependent_hostgroup_name            Nmw_Servers,Wi_Servers
    dependent_host_name
!Nmw_104_010_Finearts_Dataserver,!Nmw_104_020_Nagios,!Nmw_104_011_Finearts_F
ileserver,Dgh_000_012_FairUse,Art_104_014_FilmServer,!Nmw_104_092_Nagios3
    dependent_service_description    Check CPU Load,Check Free Space,Current
Users,Total Processes,Zombie Processes

    execution_failure_criteria          w,u,c,p
    notification_failure_criteria       w,u,c,p
    }

define host{
        name                            generic-host
        notifications_enabled           1
        event_handler_enabled           1
        flap_detection_enabled          1
        failure_prediction_enabled      1
        process_perf_data               1
        retain_status_information       1
        retain_nonstatus_information    1
        register                        0
        }

define host{
    name                                server-high-priority
    use                                 generic-host
    check_period                        24x7
    check_interval                      2
    max_check_attempts                  2
    check_command                       check-host-alive
    notification_period                 24x7
notification_interval               120
    notification_options                d,r,f
    contact_groups                      nagiosadmin
    register                            0
    }

define service{
        name                            medium-high-priority-service
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              5
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            2
         contact_groups                 nagiosadmin
        notification_options            c,r,f
        notification_interval           180
        notification_period             extendedworkhours
        register                        0
        }

define service{
        name                            generic-service
        active_checks_enabled           1
        passive_checks_enabled          1
        parallelize_check               1
        obsess_over_service             0
        check_freshness                 0
        notifications_enabled           1
        event_handler_enabled           1
        flap_detection_enabled          1
        failure_prediction_enabled      1
        process_perf_data               1
        retain_status_information       1
        retain_nonstatus_information    1
        is_volatile                     0
        register                        0
        }

# 'extendedworkhours' timeperiod definition
define timeperiod{
    timeperiod_name    extendedworkhours
    alias       Extended Work Hours
    sunday      10:00-22:00
    monday      07:00-22:00
    tuesday     07:00-22:00
    wednesday   07:00-22:00
    thursday    07:00-22:00
    friday      07:00-22:00
    saturday    10:00-22:00
    }

# '24x7' timeperiod definition
define timeperiod{
    timeperiod_name    24x7
    alias       24 Hours A Day, 7 Days A Week
    sunday      00:00-24:00
    monday      00:00-24:00
    tuesday     00:00-24:00
    wednesday   00:00-24:00
    thursday    00:00-24:00
    friday      00:00-24:00
    saturday    00:00-24:00
    }

Nagios 3.0.6 on 10.4.11 OSX.

The service check is stuck in pending for the DGH server, and is returning
fine for 2 of the NMW servers, but not all of them.

Thanks,

Rob Yeo