check_ping stuck on 'PENDING'

jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com
Sat Jan 10 00:34:41 CET 2009

I don't see a service definition for 'server-high-priority', nor do I see
where you are employing a check_ping operation, nor have you included the
check_period config for 24x7.

James Moseley

             Robert Yeo
             <r.yeo at utah.edu>
             01/09/2009 05:13          nagios-users Mailinglist
             PM                        <Nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net

                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [Nagios-users] check_ping stuck
                                       on 'PENDING'

This is an example config for one of the services.  Please let me know if I
am missing any info.

# Finearts Nagios 2 Server
define host{

    host_name        Dgh_000_012_FairUse
    alias            Finearts Nagios 2 Server (fairuse.music.utah.edu)
    address          155.97.55.12

    use              server-high-priority
    hostgroups       Dgh_Servers
    parents          Dgh_Switch_02
    icon_image       mac40.png
    statusmap_image  mac40.gd2
    }

# '003 DGH Servers' server group definition
define hostgroup{
    hostgroup_name       Dgh_Servers
    alias                DGH_SERVERS
    }

# 'check_nrpe' command definition
define command {
    command_name     check_nrpe
    command_line    $USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c $ARG1$ -u
}'

define service{
    hostgroup_name            Nmw_Servers,Wi_Servers
    host_name
!Nmw_104_010_Finearts_Dataserver,!Nmw_104_020_Nagios,Dgh_000_012_FairUse,Art

_104_014_FilmServer,!Nmw_104_092_Nagios3

    service_description        Check CPU Load
    use                        medium-high-priority-service
    check_command              check_nrpe!check_load
    }

define service{
        name                            medium-high-priority-service
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              5
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            2
         contact_groups                 nagiosadmin
        notification_options            c,r,f
        notification_interval           180
        notification_period             extendedworkhours
        register                        0
        }

define service{
        name                            generic-service
        active_checks_enabled           1
        passive_checks_enabled          1
        parallelize_check               1
        obsess_over_service             0
        check_freshness                 0
        notifications_enabled           1
        event_handler_enabled           1
        flap_detection_enabled          1
        failure_prediction_enabled      1
        process_perf_data               1
        retain_status_information       1
        retain_nonstatus_information    1
        is_volatile                     0
        register                        0
        }

# 'extendedworkhours' timeperiod definition
define timeperiod{
    timeperiod_name    extendedworkhours
    alias       Extended Work Hours
    sunday      10:00-22:00
    monday      07:00-22:00
    tuesday     07:00-22:00
    wednesday   07:00-22:00
    thursday    07:00-22:00
    friday      07:00-22:00
    saturday    10:00-22:00
    }

Nagios 3.0.6 on 10.4.11 OSX.

The service check is stuck in pending for the DGH server, and is returning
fine for 2 of the NMW servers, but not all of them.

Thanks,

Rob Yeo

On 1/9/09 4:04 PM, "Marc Powell" <marc at ena.com> wrote:

> On Jan 9, 2009, at 4:48 PM, <ibloodyhatespam at gmail.com>
> <ibloodyhatespam at gmail.com
>> wrote:
>
>> As per the subject... Nagios 3.0.6 and it happens both to lan and
>> external servers.
>
>> As ping¹s a very basic check and as far as I can see everything
>> should work normally, right now I¹m stumped. Any idea what's going
>> on here?
>
> Actual config information is necessary otherwise we're just guessing
> in the dark. Nagios doesn't think it's supposed to perform a check. Is
> the timeperiod right?
>
> host definition, service definition (and templates for both if used)
> and timeperiod definition would be a good start.
>
> --
> Marc

reporting
> any issue.