nagios not sending sms through gnokii

Jon Angliss jon at netdork.net
Sat Jan 10 05:01:08 CET 2009

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 17:17:04 +0800, "fernando renegado"
<flrenegado at gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi Jon,
>I just followed the following:
>
>i did "su nagios", ran the script and the errors popped out:
>
>~# su nagios
>$ /usr/bin/sms_gnokii
>GNOKII Version 0.6.27
>Couldn't read /home/nagios/.gnokiirc config file.
>Couldn't read /home/nagios/.gnokiirc config file.
>Couldn't read /etc/gnokiirc config file.
>Couldn't read /etc/gnokiirc config file.
>Config file cannot be read.
>
>I copied .gnokiirc from /root to /home/nagios and did chown nagios:nagios on
>it.
>
>Further, gnokii tries to send the message but it ends in another permission
>related error:
>Connecting
>Serial device: opening device USB
>Ignoring extra header, type 171, length 5
>Found FBUS interface
>Can't set configuration: -1
>Can't claim control interface: -1
>Couldn't open PHONET device: Operation not permitted
>Error in link initialisation: 1
>Telephone interface init failed: Command failed.
>Quitting.
>Command failed.
>
>Furthermore, i tried the following:
>
>chown -R nagios:nagios /dev/bus/usb/*
>chown -R nagios:nagios  /dev/ttyACM0
>and
>chmod 750 -R /dev/bus/usb/*
>chmod 750 /dev/ttyACM0

You shouldn't need to do this. Find out the owner and group of those,
and you can probably drop nagios in that group, unless of course it's
root.

>then I tried /usr/bin/gnokii --getnetworkinfo
>
>and It works without error. Now I restarted nagios. NO SMS SENT only Email
>notification.

Are you seeing log entries that say it is triggering the SMS
notification command?  Show us your command, service, and  host
commands.
--
Jon Angliss