nagios not sending sms through gnokii

fernando renegado flrenegado at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 10:17:04 CET 2009

Hi Jon,
I just followed the following:

i did "su nagios", ran the script and the errors popped out:

~# su nagios
$ /usr/bin/sms_gnokii
GNOKII Version 0.6.27
Couldn't read /home/nagios/.gnokiirc config file.
Couldn't read /home/nagios/.gnokiirc config file.
Couldn't read /etc/gnokiirc config file.
Couldn't read /etc/gnokiirc config file.
Config file cannot be read.

I copied .gnokiirc from /root to /home/nagios and did chown nagios:nagios on
it.

Further, gnokii tries to send the message but it ends in another permission
related error:
Connecting
Serial device: opening device USB
Ignoring extra header, type 171, length 5
Found FBUS interface
Can't set configuration: -1
Can't claim control interface: -1
Couldn't open PHONET device: Operation not permitted
Error in link initialisation: 1
Telephone interface init failed: Command failed.
Quitting.
Command failed.

Furthermore, i tried the following:

chown -R nagios:nagios /dev/bus/usb/*
chown -R nagios:nagios  /dev/ttyACM0
and
chmod 750 -R /dev/bus/usb/*
chmod 750 /dev/ttyACM0

then I tried /usr/bin/gnokii --getnetworkinfo

and It works without error. Now I restarted nagios. NO SMS SENT only Email
notification.