Growing CPU utilization

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Jan 7 00:14:12 CET 2009

On Jan 6, 2009, at 4:23 PM, Bryan Wann wrote:

> Through process of elimination, I think I've tracked it down to perl
> plugins. ePN is in use.  I'm tracking 11,309 services on 1,364
> hosts, 26%
> of those service checks are perl (manubulon.com's check_snmp_mem,
> check_snmp_load) and the rest are C (check_icmp, check_snmp).

Unless those perl plugins have been designed specifically to work with
ePN, then I wouldn't be too surprised to see oddness. ePN transforms
the plugin in a way that can cause unexpected breakage if the author
wasn't expecting it.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/embeddedperl.html and http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/epnplugins.html
  as well as most archive postings by Stanley Hopcroft can provide
insight as well as some troubleshooting hints (like using contrib/
mini_epn for testing, though I have doubts it would show a gradual
problem such as this).

The simplest troubleshooting path may be to use the '# nagios: -epn'
flag to disable ePN processing on individual plugins (or all, then add
them back individually) to help identify the plugin that's causing the
issue.

--
Marc