Growing CPU utilization

Bryan Wann bwann-nagios at wann.net
Tue Jan 6 23:23:34 CET 2009

Hi list,

I'm trying to debug a problem where CPU usage (specifically system%) of my
Nagios host increase over time, about 0.5% an hour.  Continuously watching
the Nagios root process in "ps auxww' shows process %CPU increasing, while
VSZ and RSS stay constant. Based on VSZ/RSS, it doesn't look like a memory
leak.

If I completely stop and re-start Nagios, it goes away. If it's unchecked,
after several days CPU hits 99% and service latencies skyrocket.

Through process of elimination, I think I've tracked it down to perl
plugins. ePN is in use.  I'm tracking 11,309 services on 1,364 hosts, 26%
of those service checks are perl (manubulon.com's check_snmp_mem,
check_snmp_load) and the rest are C (check_icmp, check_snmp).

Any way I can analyze the perl plug-ins for issues or see what's happening
with the embedded perl intepreter?  Or anyone have any other insight into
the process CPU utilization?

I'm running Nagios 3.0.6. This happens on different CentOS kernels
(2.6.18-92.1.10.el5PAE and 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5).  Both systems have 8 GB
memory and it's never hitting swap.  If memory serves right, it's default
config except for using use_large_installation_tweaks=1 and
enable_environment_macros=0.

Met vriendelijke groet/kind regards,
bryan