newbie question

White, Richard L rlwhite at illinois.edu
Thu Feb 26 21:08:18 CET 2009

List,

I just finished installing Nagios 2.10 on my RedHat Linux system.
I'm new at web stuff but after some digging was able to log into the application.

I have not changed any of the default cfg files except for the contacts one listed in the quickstart directions and pointing the authentication to the correct password file.
It looks like I should be monitoring my localhost, but I do not see hosts or services displayed in the viewer.
Do they only show up when they are bad?

On most screens I get the message similar to this one:

"It appears as though you do not have permissions to view information for any of the hosts you requested...
If you believe this is an error, check the HTTP server authentication requirements for access this CGI and check the authorization options in your CGI configuration file"

Is this because the files it is looking for do not exist yet?
Do I have a permissions problem?

Any help you can provide will be appreciated!

Rich White
Service Manager -- Illinois Compass