Service linked to hostgroup / notifications

David Fontaine dav.fontaine at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 19:17:15 CET 2009

Hello,

I am monitoring a few dozen of servers and I'm really satisfied with nagios.
This is a great tool.

However, there's one (actually more than one) thing that I can't figure out
:

I define a service :

define service{
        use                     generic-service
        hostgroup_name          linux-servers
        service_description     Time
        check_command           check_time!public
        }

This service applies to a host group so that I don't have to define the
service for each server. The command doesn't matter but for completeness
here's what it does : it compares the time on a remote server (snmp) to the
local time and report the difference.

There is one server that is rebooted every night, and I would like not to
receive notifications during that time. So I have defined a notification
period.

Now, the question is : how do I apply the notification period to the
service, but for only that one host ?

Maybe I have to create a service for each host, so that I can specify
different time periods for each service. There must be a way but I can't
figure it out. I tried to define the same service on the host I would like
not to receive notifications for, but Nagios complains about duplicates.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

David