lazy nagios und cygwin...

Jakob Curdes jc at info-systems.de
Tue Feb 24 15:42:41 CET 2009

Hello,

we are running nagios 3.0.5 under cygwin quite successfully in a
relatively simple setup (most check results come via NRPE from NSCA++
clients on windows machines). Everything is well, but sometimes a
awkward thing happens: nagios just stops doing anything.

- It continues to run : the processes are visible in the Windows process
table
- It ceases to execute checks: checks just stop bein executed
- It ceases to write anything to a logfile
- It also ceases to write anything to a debug file with Debug=16 (last
entry is nothing suspicous)

After killing the nagios processes and restarting the windows service
(nagios is registered as a windows service using the cygrunsrv facility)
everything is back to normal.
What I find most annoying is that even in the CGI output everything
seems normal - just that the last checks are several hours overdue, but
no alarm or other signal is shown.

We are not sure if this is cygwin/windows related or if it is a problem
which also happens in the "normal" unix environment.
Comments would be very welcome. I will now turn up debugging further in
the hope that then we see something interesting.

Regards,
Jakob Curdes