Using SLES10 and Nagios 3.x under VMWare

Chris Beattie cbeattie at geninfo.com
Thu Feb 19 19:35:36 CET 2009

Deborah Martin wrote:

> I've never used SLES10 + Nagios 3.x as a VM Ware box and I wondered if any
> of you had come
> across any issues that I should be aware of.

I run Nagios in a dual-CPU VM (CentOS 5.2 guest on VMWare ESX
3.something).  Once in a while, Nagios would shut down some time after
midnight.  I suspect that ESX is pretty busy while the other VMs are
being backed up.  The system log had entries like this:

Jan  7 00:18:17 Monitor2 nagios: Caught SIGSEGV, shutting down...
Jan  7 00:18:27 Monitor2 kernel: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 10s!
[check_nt:21036] Jan  7 00:18:27 Monitor2 kernel: CPU 1:

It didn't happen all the time, and there wasn't much I could do about it
when it did happen.  I created another Nagios VM identical to the first,
except it's got a script which monitors the primary server and takes
over if the primary fails.  Nagios is not started on the failover
server, so it takes very few resources to keep idling along.

There are ~550 hosts and ~4500 services being monitored, and the two
virtual CPUs run around 80% each in the Gnome system monitor app, and
1.3-2.0 in the load averages.  They're both 3.0 virtual GHz, if I recall
correctly.  I have large installation tweaks turned on as well.  The
Nagios server is busy enough all the time that the server guys have
mentioned going back to physical hardware if I have to add much more.

 From a user's perspective, I can't tell it's on a VM.  I think the
slowest part is how quickly my PC can render Nagios' web pages.
--
Chris Beattie

Nothing in this message is intended to make or accept and offer or to form a contract, except that an attachment that is an image of a contract bearing the signature of an officer of our company may be or become a contract. This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. It may contain information that is non-public, proprietary, privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law or may constitute as attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient, we hereby notify you that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and delete this message immediately
 .

Thank you.