Problems running Nagios

Dunn, Larry dunnlg at bettis.gov
Thu Feb 19 14:35:42 CET 2009

I am using Nagios 3.0.4 and something has gone wrong. I just got the
installation working yesterday and now this morning I restarted and am
getting an error when nagios runs.

Warning: Return code of 137 for check of service 'name of service' on
host 'hostname' was out of bounds.

According to the FAQ:

Frequently Asked Questions

Home <http://www.nagios.org/>  > Support
<http://www.nagios.org/support/>  > FAQs

[ Return To FAQ Index <http://www.nagios.org/faqs/>  | Search The FAQs
<http://www.nagios.org/faqs/search.php>  ]

FAQ Database
<http://www.nagios.org/faqs/index.php?section_id=0&expand=false&showdesc
=true>  : Nagios
<http://www.nagios.org/faqs/index.php?section_id=1&expand=false&showdesc
=true>  : Error and Warning Messages
<http://www.nagios.org/faqs/index.php?section_id=9&expand=false&showdesc
=true>

Title:	 Return code of X is out of bounds error message
FAQ ID:	 F0017
Submitted By:	 Ethan Galstad
Last Updated:	 06/17/2003

displayed in the output of a host or service check. Similiar error
messages may appear in the log file.

Solution:	 If the plugin output for a host or service check give a
"(Return code of x is out of bounds)" error it usually means one of the
following:

1.	The plugin you're using to perform the host or service check is
not returning the proper return code when it exits.

2.	The path to the plugin is invalid (i.e. the binary or script
does not exist). This is most likely the case if you get errors about a
return code of 127 being out of bounds. If this is the error you're
getting, check your command definitions and make sure the path to all
executables is correct (and that they're actually installed on your
system).

3.	The plugin is not executable. This is most likely the case if
you get errors about a return code of 126 being out of bounds. If this
is the error you're getting, make sure you've set the plugin to be
executable (using chmod +x).

4.	The plugins are not finding libraries they were linked against
at compile time. Sean Berry noted that on Solaris 8 this results in
plugins returning an exit code of 137. The fix for this is to set the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH for the nagios account to include the paths to the
necessary libraries (i.e. /usr/local/lib).

Related FAQs:	 F0037
<http://www.nagios.org/faqs/viewfaq.php?faq_id=37&expand=false&showdesc=
true> 	 The libexec/ subdirectory is missing from my Nagios
installation. Where are all the plugins?
Keywords:	 return code bounds plugin error
I have checked my install and checked the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and nothing
has changed that should be causing this to happen.  Has anyone else seen
this problem? Have you found anything else that I can look at to try to
resovle this problem?

Larry