Nagios + Postfix

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Feb 19 16:33:32 CET 2009

On Feb 19, 2009, at 9:19 AM, Martyn wrote:

> I can not seem to get any notifications through from Nagios, I
> installed postfix as suggested but I just keep getting my mails
> queuing, so far I have over 200 sitting there with the same status
> message
>
> Lost connection with mail.proweb.co.uk while sending MAIL FROM
>
> Has anybody else had this issue and if so how did you fix it.

Sounds like mail.proweb.co.uk is rejecting your connection. Is that a
server you control? What do it's logs say about the transaction?

If it's not a server you control, are you following standard/expected
SMTP conventions? Is the e-mail address being used as the from valid
(i.e. is the @domain part legitimate and exist in DNS)? This often
comes from the hostname of the machine if you've not configured
postfix to masquerade that. Does the public IP for your sending
machine have valid reverse DNS, not on an RBL, not on a known
'dynamic' IP? Are you permitted to use that server to send mail?

--
Marc