1 Host 2 IP

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Wed Feb 18 18:16:10 CET 2009

You can check multiple IPs in one check (and thus, one host) using
check_icmp. This is a basic ping-type check, but it has a flag to say
you only need one of the ips to return in order for the host to be
considered up. Or just symlink it to check_host, and it returns OK as
soon as it receives one reply, regardless of which IP the reply comes
from. As far as monitoring different services on each host, what
you'll have to do is make custom check commands that accept the ip as
one of the arguments ($ARG1$ for instance) rather than just assuming
the host address, which will still have to be set to a single IP even
if using check_icmp.

What I've done on a number of hosts of ours that have multiple IPs is
to set the host check as check_icmp, looking at both IPs and only
going critical if both are down. I then make a service that is also
check_icmp, looking at the specific ports. That way I get a host
critical alert if both are down, but otherwise the host stays OK, and
just the service corresponding to the specific ip that isn't working
goes critical. Works well for us.

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.