So its running how I like it

Allan Clark allanc at chickenandporn.com
Wed Feb 18 17:58:52 CET 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 09:51, Paul Weaver <paul.weaver at bbc.co.uk> wrote:

> We use an ubuntu based PXE builder, but the same principle. We've
> deployed half a dozen nagios instances so far, another dozen to do by
> the end of the year.
>
> The config is stored in subversion, installing nagios hasn't been
> streamlined, as to be honest we rarely need to install from scratch.
>
> (standard ubuntu-server build, with a few additions like ssh and snmpd)
> apt-get install subversion apache2 expect libbit-vector-perl
> ... [ two dozen or more dependencies] ...

libxml-simple-perl sqsh

> su -
> ... [15 lines of hand-config] ...

> cd /usr/local/nagios/var
> > comments.dat
> > downtime.dat
> > nagios.log
> > objects.cache
> > retention.dat
> > status.dat

The dependencies, hand-config user-creation, and the creation of the ghost
files, can be done with a proper RPM -- which then means that two
installations (by different people) are able to help each other a bit
easier.  It may also help the original OT poster get a canned install with
little hand-monkeying, so easier to approach a canned ISO or a VM disk
image.

Paul, did you think of using the RPM, and indicating the shortfalls (such as
the perl dependencies that aren't portable to the host's RPM dependencies --
those always pop up) or other issues with the RPM?

Allan
http://community.nagios.org/wiki/index.php/LDAP-Configured_Nagios