Different notifications depending on warning?

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Mon Feb 16 18:34:59 CET 2009

I don't know if this is possible, but is there any way to make nagios
send different alerts (or, rather not send alerts) depending on what
exactly a warning state is? My understanding is that nagios only looks
at the return code, not the status text, so this shouldn't be
possible, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

The problem I am trying to solve is the following: I am monitoring a
number of printers via SNMP, and there are a number of conditions that
will trigger a "WARNING" status on the printer: Out of paper, open
front cover, low toner, etc. Some of these, such as out of paper, can
be and typically are quickly and easily solved by the end user, and as
such there is no point in e-mailing us about it, at least not until it
has been empty for a while. However, it should still show up as a
warning in nagios, because there have been situations where someone is
being unable to print to a remote printer, and it turns out it is
because no one in the remote location noticed that it was out. Other
"WARNING" situations we need to be notified about immediately, such as
(primarily) low toner, in which case we need to make sure we have a
replacement available, and perhaps even sent out, if the location is
remote.

I suppose I could write a plugin that looks at the status text and
"upgrades" certain warnings, such as low toner, to critical status,
but this would be problematic as well, because we would then loose the
distinction between "low toner", which just means we need to make sure
we have more, and "toner empty", which means we need to go replace it.
So is there a good solution to this dilemma that I am missing? Thanks.

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.
5245 Airport Industrial Rd