CPU Critical

Steve Burton steve at sliderule.demon.co.uk
Mon Feb 16 15:49:00 CET 2009

Jon Angliss wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 00:54:34 -0000, "Martyn" <martyn at chetnet.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

>> Hi All
>> I have noticed whilst monitoring my NT server the CPU load level has been at
>> critical status for 3d 8h 29m 32s and sitting at 100%,  this is good news
>>
> >from a monitoring point of view as it was spotted, however I need to solve
>
>> it.
>>

>> I know I can just jump on to my server and look at the processors I would
>> find what was hogging it but is there a plugin/module or add-on that I can
>> use to see what processors maxing out.
>>

> If you're any good at scripting, you can tinker with the WMI script
> from here:
>

> http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/3560366/Monitor-CPU-Usage-of-All-Running-Processes--Part-I.htm
>
> It's a WMI script that will walk through all the processes, and return
> the CPU usage.  With some tweaking, you can probably sort the results,
> add the values, and use it as a CPU counter, and return the top
> process as part of the check.

Also, if you only want the _Total_ processor usage and have NSCP
installed you can access the perfmon counter with a check_command like:

define command{
       command_name check-processor-nscp
       command_line $USER1$/check_nt -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -v COUNTER -l
"\\Processor(_Total)\\% Processor Time","Processor Used %2.f%%" -p 12489
       }

(NB I run nscp on port 12489 hence the -p argument).

Steve.