Using a modem with Nagios as backup alert path

Frater, Greg J GJFRATER at bechtel.com
Fri Feb 13 01:34:37 CET 2009

path

>On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 03:05:54PM -0800, Frater, Greg J wrote:
>> Greetings All,
>>
>> We are setting up a new Nagios instance running version 3.  With it
we
>> are adding a modem so that alerts can be sent via the phone system
>> even if the data network goes down.  In the testing I've done
messages
>> sent via the modem take quite a bit longer to be received than alerts

>> sent via SMTP, this is because the modem goes through the dial up
>> connection process and then sends the messages to each recipient in
>> separate sessions, so I want to keep SMTP as the primary method and
>> use the modem as a backup path.  What is the best way to do this, can

>> we do it without a bunch of work to implement?  Suggestions and
advice gladly accepted.

>> Thanks,
>>
>> -greg

>What are you sending via modem, SMS, text pages? Are you connecting to
an ISP via PPP to fire off one SMTP message?

The modem is sending sms messages.

>I have successfully used Sendpage with Nagios to send to IXO/TAP text
pagers, and it supports piggybacking to send out multiple pages in a
single phone call. I think it supports sending SMS too.

I guess I need to have a closer look at the sendpage config, there's
probably a way to do that I just did take the time to dig into it.