Using a modem with Nagios as backup alert path

Frater, Greg J GJFRATER at bechtel.com
Fri Feb 13 01:31:14 CET 2009

answers - what about monitoring the data network in Nagios, create   an
event handler so if it goes down change bring the modem up and start
sending messages that way. When it comes back up you can keep SMTP
primary.

I'm not sure how to effectively check the "network" to see if SMTP is
available, on one hand it seems straight forward but when I think about
details it does not seem so obvious.  My SMTP path looks something like
this:

Nagios -> local sendmail daemon -> smtp smarthost -> corporate smtp
gateway -> corporate internet connection -> internet

Maybe it's overkill to worry about all of those pieces but in my
paranoid (i.e. mad boss wanting to know why we didn't know about a major
outage) mind I don't want to leave anything out :-)

Honestly I'm not checking all of those things now, but I would like to
be a bit more thorough on the new setup, some of those things I don't
have access to be able to check them.

 > How come you have to dial up each time to send alerts?

That's a good question, that's just the way it worked when I first set
it up and I did not check for another or better way.