Problem executing plugins under nagios 3.0.6

Matthew Melvin matthewmelvin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 06:12:53 CET 2009

I've recently tried upgrading from nagios 2.9 to nagios 3.0.6 but now it
seems like nagios is having trouble executing plugins.  The execve calls
are failing with E2BIG.  An example from an strace...

23545 execve("/bin/sh", ["sh", "-c",
"/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_dummy 3 \"Stale results\""], [/* 191 vars
*/]) = -1 E2BIG (Argument list too long)

But that command seems entirely normal to me...

# su - nagios
$ sh -c "/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_dummy 3 \"Stale results\""
UNKNOWN: Stale results
$

I am using essentially the same configuration file as my 2.9 install but
slightly tweaked as per...

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/upgrading.html#nagios2x

Out...

comment_file=/var/lib/nagios-cms/comments.dat
downtime_file=/var/lib/nagios-cms/downtime.dat
service_reaper_frequency=2
aggregate_status_updates=1

In...

check_result_path=/var/run/nagios-cms/results
check_result_reaper_frequency=2

Any guidance as to what I might be missing would be appreciated.  Execve
not working is a failure as such a basic level I'm a bit lost as for
where to start. :)

M.

--
... with eskimo chain i tattooed my brain all the way...