how is "Service check Latency" defined in nagios?

Max perldork at webwizarddesign.com
Mon Feb 9 23:52:51 CET 2009

Hi Rahul,

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Rahul Nabar <rpnabar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Max. That is a pretty intricate issue that I had no idea about! I'm
> still trying to figure out the exact implications of what you describe.
> Maybe I need to visit the Nagios manual again to re-read nagios's scheduling
> logic. It's especially important to me now that I also have PnP running
> performance stats.

Yes, definitely do that.  I talk about how my team set up nagios and
PNP to minimize delays in polling on my blog, though be warned that we
break some of the rules that the documentation says to always follow,
like doing a fork() in a NEB module and setting inter-check delay
methods to n .. none.  so while it works for us I know that a number
of people on this list would probably balk at how we did things and
call us idiots :).

That in mind, so far we are very happy with the performance of our
setup and we have not had any instability problems with it in the 5
months it has been in place and we are completing all of our checks
within 5 minutes which for us is very important as all performance
data is sent to a long-term data warehouse for graphing and analysis
with other tools that interface with the long term data warehouse.

My blog:

http://www.semintelligent.com/blog/

> Meanwhile this is a dump of the relevant parameters you speak about. I don't
> recall changing any from their defaults.
> Maybe I ought to in the light of what you mentioned?
>
> service_inter_check_delay_method=s
> host_inter_check_delay_method=s
> sleep_time=0.25

> #Timeouts:
> service_check_timeout=60
> host_check_timeout=30
> event_handler_timeout=30
> notification_timeout=30
> ocsp_timeout=5
> perfdata_timeout=5

if you are getting all checks done within a time frame you are happy
with, no need at all to tweak anything :) though playing with all the
various parameters on a lab system will still be well worth your time
for the experience you will gain from it.

If you are seeing scheduled check times skew unacceptably over time or
you are not completing all checks in the time you need to have them
done, then yes, definitely dig deeper and work on tuning your
installation and tuning how you send data from nagios to PNP.

- Max