normal_check_interval misbehaving?

Hiren Patel hir3npatel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 16:13:47 CET 2009

Jason Marshall wrote:
>> is the active-service template set to check freshness, if so what is its
>> value? I suspect the check results are getting stale and forcing an
>> active check, this can be verified from the nagios logs on the nagios
>> server though (perhaps depending on logging options?)
>
> Thanks Hiren, the check_freshness value for active services is enabled,
> and the threshold is set to 5 minutes, but there is no check_command set
> for it.  I don't think I've ever had active checks go stale, so I'm
> going to try turning that value off to see what happens.
>
> Thanks for the idea, I never would have thought of this one!

active-checks should be a template, so there wouldn't be a check_command
for it. normally your active check won't go stale, because they're
scheduled to run more often than the freshness threshold. check your
logs for signs of:

--
[1233827017] Warning: The results of service 'Total Processes' on host
'slave' are stale by 0d 0h 1m 0s (threshold=0d 0h 10m 0s).  I'm forcing

this still doesn't explain why the checks are run every 10 minutes
though, if freshness threshold is set to 5 minutes.

have you confirmed that there isn't another nagios process running, as
directed from another reply to this thread?