notify-service-by-email failure for *some* addresses?

Kaegler, Mike KaeglerM at tessco.com
Thu Feb 5 17:58:49 CET 2009

I didn¹t get any responses on this message, but I was able to find a
workaround I¹ll share for anyone who comes across this in the future:
I created a local email alias (/etc/aliases) and had nagios send the message
to pager-bypass at localhost . Ba dum bum.
Its a hack, but it works.
If you anyone else runs into this or figures it out, I¹d love to hear from
you.
-porkchop

On 2/3/09 11:25 AM, "Michael Kaegler" <kaeglerm at tessco.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> My phone and a few POP mailboxes all receive alerts from nagios, the POP
> boxes via the stock notify-service-by-email, my phone via a custom
> notify-service-by-shortmail. Shortmail stopped working out of the blue a few
> days ago, and I just moved my phone over to notify-service-by-email. I'm
> still not receiving notifications on it.
>
> My logs have the relevant error:
>
> Feb  3 10:46:41 net nagios: Warning: Contact 'porkchoppager' host
> notification command '/usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios
> *****\n\nNotification Type: ACKNOWLEDGEMENT\nHost: slc-fw\nState:
> DOWN\nAddress: 172.21.7.51\nInfo: (Host Check Timed Out)\n\nDate/Time: Tue
> Feb 3 10:46:10 EST 2009\n" | /bin/mail -s "** ACKNOWLEDGEMENT Host Alert:
> slc-fw is DOWN **" mynumber at txt.att.net' timed out after 30 seconds
>
> While its executing, I've seen a zombie sh in the processlist along with two
> sendmail processes just waiting there.
>
> The same notification command works flawlessly for 5 other contacts at the
> same time: The only difference is in the actual email address, and its just
> a phone number @txt.att.net.
>
> I've su'd to the nagios user and executed the whole command. No problem,
> hits my phone in 30 seconds.
> Ideas on where to look?
> -mKaegler

> any issue.

Michael Kaegler, TESSCO Technologies: Engineering, 410 229 1295
Your wireless success, nothing less. http://www.tessco.com/