notify-service-by-email failure for *some* addresses?

Kaegler, Mike KaeglerM at tessco.com
Tue Feb 3 17:25:46 CET 2009

Greetings,

My phone and a few POP mailboxes all receive alerts from nagios, the POP
boxes via the stock notify-service-by-email, my phone via a custom
notify-service-by-shortmail. Shortmail stopped working out of the blue a few
days ago, and I just moved my phone over to notify-service-by-email. I'm
still not receiving notifications on it.

My logs have the relevant error:

Feb  3 10:46:41 net nagios: Warning: Contact 'porkchoppager' host
notification command '/usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios
*****\n\nNotification Type: ACKNOWLEDGEMENT\nHost: slc-fw\nState:
DOWN\nAddress: 172.21.7.51\nInfo: (Host Check Timed Out)\n\nDate/Time: Tue
Feb 3 10:46:10 EST 2009\n" | /bin/mail -s "** ACKNOWLEDGEMENT Host Alert:
slc-fw is DOWN **" mynumber at txt.att.net' timed out after 30 seconds

While its executing, I've seen a zombie sh in the processlist along with two
sendmail processes just waiting there.

The same notification command works flawlessly for 5 other contacts at the
same time: The only difference is in the actual email address, and its just
a phone number @txt.att.net.

I've su'd to the nagios user and executed the whole command. No problem,
hits my phone in 30 seconds.
Ideas on where to look?
-mKaegler