lun monitoring

Russell Adams RLAdams at AdamsInfoServ.Com
Tue Feb 3 19:58:28 CET 2009

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 10:42:05AM -0700, Tom Ammon wrote:

> That is probably where our differing environments cause us to need
> different things. In my environment I monitor hundreds, but not
> thousands of devices. And they are all in my control. If I worked for a
> large ISP, I'm sure I would see things differently.

Even in a regular corporate environment, a single Nagios administrator
is a bottleneck. If you work with other people and they have to make
requests to have updates made, you could benefit from some form of
discovery.

> With Torrus, on a router, for example, what kind of detail would it
> typically give you outside of the normal interface statistics? Would it
> be able to discern cpu usage, memory usage, etc. without you specifying
> some kind of template for it to use as a reference?

I think their Cisco templates are very good. CPU/Memory statistics,
model detection, in addition to all the normal port data. You only
give Torrus the IP address, it must figure out the rest.

> Cacti has sort of solved this with their data templates. For example,
> there is a Unix Host Template that you can download and then apply to a
> device, and it gives you all of the parameters that are built in that
> template, for example, cpu/mem/disk. But the author of the template had
> to know the OIDs (and use the correct OIDs). It wasn't really
> autodiscovered.

Templating is the first step toward a discovery solution. Next after
templating comes automatic creation and discovery. ;]

Thanks.

Russell Adams                            RLAdams at AdamsInfoServ.com